NLA Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) Course
Skyline House is located on the corner of Union Street and Great Suffolk Street.
There is no onsite parking.
Nearest car park UCP Great Suffolk Street, £20 per day.
We recommend you travel by public transport.
Please be aware you will be subject to the Congestion Charge when driving to the venue.
London Waterloo 0.5 miles
London Waterloo East 0.4 miles
London Blackfriars 0.5 miles (Southbank)
Southwark (Jubilee line) 0.1 miles
Waterloo (Bakerloo, Jubilee, Northern, Waterloo & City lines) 0.7 miles
Borough (Northern line) 0.5 miles
Our one-day Portable Appliance Testing Course teaches you how to carry out vital safety checks on the electrical appliances you provide your tenants with. This comprehensive PAT training ensures you are confident about protecting your tenants’ safety, with your safety as our priority.
Under the Landlord and tenants Act 1985 it is your responsibility to ensure all electrical equipment supplied by you is free of risk of injury to tenants and in full working order at the start of the tenancy and regular safety checks have been carried out during their tenancy to meet your duty of care.
Our course covers both theory and practice. Testing equipment will be available on site for Portable Appliance Testing course attendees. Prior knowledge of PAT testing or electricity is NOT a requirement to attend our PAT course.
Our expert team will:
- Help you gain practical experience of PAT testing
- Explain PAT testing in the domestic environment
- Teach you how to use Portable Appliance Testing Equipment
- Support you at every step of this course
Our THEORY session of PAT training will:
- Take you through the latest IET code of practice
- Take you through Health and Safety Executive guidance
During our PRACTICAL session of PAT training you will:
- Inspect and PAT test a variety of portable electrical appliances with expert guidance
- Conduct formal, visual and combined checks and labelling
- The legal background
- Class 1, 11 and 111 appliances
- Safety risks and typical faults
- Frequency of testing
- Fuse ratings and visual inspections
- Earth bond resistance tests
- Insulation resistance tests
- All Portable equipment
- Handheld equipment
- Stationary equipment (not fixed)
- User checks including formal, visual and combined.
Trainer: Melvin Pugh
Melvin has a background in procurement and contract management within the financial services sector and is a full-time property professional with over 12 years experience as an accredited landlord. He has a portfolio comprising both single lets, student HMO’s and, more recently, serviced accommodation.
He has developed most of his portfolio using the refurb-to-rent model and along the way has acquired a wealth of experience in refurbishment and construction which he continues to apply his portfolio. He is a qualified domestic electrician, a skill he uses mainly for his own properties and those of friends and associates. Melvin is also a Trainer with the NLA and has presented the NLA Safer Homes & PAT courses to hundreds of NLA members over the past three and a half years. In his free time Melvin enjoys sailing with his wife both in the UK and abroad.