I am new to all this so please forgive the simplicity and perhaps naivety of my questions ...!
I am moving to a new property and letting the flat I currently live in. I understand that I need a Gas Certificate but the letting agents said we do not need an electrical certificate. Is this true?
I look forward to the responses


It is true, by law you do not need a certificate for your electric fixed installation or appliances. However, you are required by law to provide safe electrical appliances and also a safe electric installation. So are you (not the agent) competent to determine that you are providing safe electrical systems? Think - someone has just been electrocuted and you have to convince a judge (and his professional advisers including HSE) that the system was checked regularly (by you as a competent person) and was safe! Could you do this, yes or no? If 'no' then get a qualified and electrician that is certified by an electric trade body and ask him/her to do a landlords fixed wiring check and appliance PAT. If you already have tenants in don't worry it can be done with limited disturbance - also are you sure this agent is really looking after your interests?

Hi there
Many thanks Rob for your response.
We have had an electrician in to provide an Instillation condition report. He recommends an upgrade but has not said anything is potentially dangerous. We have decided not to do an upgrade at this point. I presume that as nothing is in urgent need of changing then we are ok till the next check.
We are also letting it as unfurnished bar the cooker, dishwasher, washing machine and free-standing fridge-freezer which were all new about 10 years ago so presuming these were checked but will confirm with the electrician.
thanks again

The key is to look at the categories of "defects" listed on the EICR. From memory they now have three - C1 means it's dangerous now, C2 means it's potentially dangerous, and C3 means it's OK but not up to current standards. IMO it would be wise to deal with C1 defects immediately, and C2 ASAP. C3 is a bit difficult though. It's safe, but not to current standards - so could someone argue that as the standards have changed (presumably to improve safety) that your installation isn't as safe as it could be. I assume the upgrade recommended was to replace a non-RCD board with a new RCD board. This certainly isn't required, but I would suggest you consider it - if nothing else, if you have a completely clear defect list, then it would be hard for anyone to even claim the electrics weren't safe. Besides, RCDs do significantly reduce *some* (but by no means all) risks.

I wouldn't let a property with 10 year old cooker, dishwasher, washing machine and fridge/freezer! Get rid of them and get some decent stuff! What sort of tenants would accept 10 year old appliances?

Hi, I have posted this in the West Midlands heading but hope you can help. I am looking for someone to do an electrical safety check on a three bedroom semi in Solihull area of West Midlands. Can you recommend anyone and give an indication of cost please? Many thanks, Polly.

I just had a new circuit board installed in one of my buy-to-let properties and a new electrical safety certificate issued for this work. My past certificates have been for 5 years, but my electrician said that this current one can only be for 3 years because the wiring in my property is very old, at least 20 years. And he's saying there is a new directive making this the case. Does this make sense? Please advise. Thank you.


6540- regarding your question about the 'directive requiring the next test to be done with in 3 years due to the wiring been 20 years old' As an Approved NICICE contractor I have not heard of the this directive. But if the inspection has indicted that the wiring is starting to break down then it would make sense. for the lower time limit.

4741- No but you must make sure that the electrician is competent to cary out the work. You do this by hiring an electrician who is with association.