NLA Foundation Course (attendees are eligible for NLA Accreditation* and Rent Smart Wales)
As a landlord, building good relationships with your tenant is key. You do so by ensuring your tenants live in a home that satisfies all the legal requirements, and to conduct yourself professionally whilst being compliant with UK law.
Whether you are a new or experienced landlord, this landlord training course will:
- Help you develop your professional skills - for example, being more commercially aware, dealing with tenants and being more empathetic, placing an emphasis on well-managed and good quality accommodation
- Take you through the tenancy from start to finish
- Explore the fundamentals of being and becoming a landlord.
The course material covers:
- Pre-tenancy considerations
- Responsibilities and liabilities of a landlord
- How to set up, manage and end a tenancy
- Keeping records of your tenancies
- Guidance and practical help
- Up-to-date advice
Whether you manage your properties yourself or use a letting agent, our team will update you on everything you need to know through in-class group discussions.
At the end of the course, there will be an open-book assessment to reinforce your learnings from the day's course. You will be issued a certificate based on satisfactory completion.*
Many members say that they benefit from this course as they have the chance to network with other like-minded individuals and share real life stories. Additionally, the course includes practical advice and examples of situations in order to help you avoid common pitfalls.
This course will also off you the opportunity to become an NLA accredited landlord.
Benefits of being an accredited landlord include:
- Reduced licence and HMO fees in various local authority areas
- Preferential services and access to grants in some local authority areas
- Free advertising with some local authority registers as well as our own National Register of Accreditation
- Being viewed as a professional landlord which is advantageous to tenants
*Please note that accreditation certification will only be awarded to members after completing all components of this landlord training session.
In certain areas, it is compulsory to obtain training as part of licence conditions. For example, it is mandatory in Wales if you are a property manager.