Web accessibility is of increasing importance - especially in the public sector. We always strive to create websites which are accessible by users of all abilities and conform to modern web standards laid out by the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI).
Making a site accessible involves organising content in a logical and accessible manner, aiding usability and giving a better user experience. Behind the scenes it also means coding the site using valid XHTML and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) which allows seperation of content and presentation and has a vast range of benefits:
- Sites are viewable on a range of devices including PDAs and mobile phones.
- Content can be viewed by blind and visually impaired users with screen reader browsers.
- Search engines can easily index content, improving rankings.
- Sites are more streamlined allowing for faster downloads and lower bandwidth costs.
If you have any questions about web accessibility please get in touch.
Need help reading our website? For your convenience our website uses the digital inclusion software, BrowseAloud, making our content more accessible with reading and translation support.
Important; if you translate a web page, document or library subject (for CPD) and provide the translation to a current or prospective tenant or for any other legal purpose then this is purely for convenience and as an aid to understanding the content of the English version.
All tenancy related documents must be produced for active use within the United Kingdom in English. The NLA accepts no responsibly for any matter arising from the active use of any tenancy document which has been translated by BrowseAloud into another language other than English.
Click on the BrowseAloud link that appears on the top of every page to launch the support toolbar. Then simply click on any text to hear it read out loud.
How does BrowseAloud help?
BrowseAloud offers a host of reading and translation support, helping you to access and understand our website better.
- text-to-speech: click on or select any text to hear it read aloud
- translation: written and spoken translations in multiple languages (see note above)
- text magnification: enlarges text and reads it out loud
- mp3 generation: converts selected text into an MP3 audio file
- screen mask: blocks distractions on screen with a tinted mask
- web page simplifier: removes clutter from the screen, displaying only the main text
- settings: customise the options to suit individual needs or preferences
All the features are accessed from an easy-to-use, floating toolbar – allowing you to drag and drop it anywhere on screen.